In 2011 Marcus Brown, Dave Wingerter and Bob LaPoint took a different approach to ski design. They stepped back to look at where and how most boaters and waterskiers spent their time. These people weren’t tucked away on private man-made lakes with ski specific boats where most in the competitive waterski community exclusively reside. They were out on larger public lakes, rivers and waterways, behind everything from wakeboard boats to jet skis to fishing boats. From there, the design team developed technology that specifically enhanced the ski experience for free-skiers on these variable water conditions. Since its release in 2012, the Freeride has become the standard in open water waterskiing and continues to encourage waterski exploration the world over.
- This ski has some minor cosmetic defects-nothing that affects the performance
- Clean Edge Technology: This revolutionary ski technology allows skiers to ski behind any boat, at any speed, in any water condition. The beveled edge of a traditional waterski allows water to wrap around the bottom of the ski and up the sidewall where it finally releases off the ski’s top edge. Clean Edge is bevel-less and the sidewalls are rotated inward like wakeboard edge. This combination causes water to release cleanly off the ski’s bottom surface resulting in a 50% less drag than conventional skis
- Clean Edge Location: Less drag equals more lift and it is the lift on the rear 50% of the Freeride’s running length that enables low drag skiing with less spray and effort. From under the skier’s front foot through the forebody of the ski, the Freeride utilizes a traditional ski edge design. This rounded edge rides deeper in the water for the stability skiers need
- Carve Rails: Steep entry concave for amazing edge hold when laying down powerful arcs
- Freeride Flex: A snowski inspired flex pattern allows the Freeride to bend its rocker into turns providing smooth carving with low effort
- HEX Fin: We’ve taken the traditional 2D waterski fin model to the next level by creating a NACA Airfoil inspired 3-dimensional fin for more lift and lower drag. Acting like an airplane wing, this surf style fin enhances ski versatility by increasing glide speed and turning properties